Sunday, May 6, 2012

Exercising in slippers

I know it has been some time since I blogged and I have been struggling lately, then someone whom I hope will become a great mentor for me suggested I return to blogging and with that I have decided to get back into it and share my current journey with you all.

For those of you who have been following me you would be well aware of the foot injuries that I have been dealing with over the past 2 years, great to be catching up with you again and for those of you new to my blog I will give you a quick "readers digest" version of the journey so far ... to bring you up to speed with everyone else.
I injured my feet initially 2 years ago taking part in the "relay for life" at Albert Park lake . I walked with a fantastic team and we are all still friends today pretty cool really as we were all complete strangers before this 24 hour event , anyway I digress as part of the challenge which is a fundraiser for Cancer research each team had a baton which they must keep on the relay track for the 24 hours (hence the Relay part passing the baton)

Here I am at last years relay for life...
 last year we did the RELAY and I completed less laps

We decided it would be a great idea for us ALL to walk for the entire 24 hours .... Fast forward 2 years I have battled with injured feet ever since ( bursitis, and Morton's neuromas the major issues), maybe not such a great idea after all.

In this 2 years I also decided I would gain my PT and group training qualifications which I have managed to achieve even completing my assessment in an attractive boot (one of the many failed treatments to fix my feet without surgery).
I also completed an additional course to work with kids groups coaching at schools which I love doing. These activities are though hindered by my feet and I have not been able to fully follow my dream. I did complete in a team triathlon ill tell you about that soon but I have not been able to participate in any running events for some time ( something I love to do - I really enjoy challenging myself).

 
recovery position!

So......4 weeks ago I had surgery on both my feet..... Seemed like a good idea at the time , the pain was a little more than I had expected and having both feet our of action was tough.... but then a further complication I developed a clot in my right calf and this has added to the delay in trying to recover, there have also been some additional complications along the way but I'm not going to bore you all with those... not yet anyway!  
I was really letting the injuries get to me and allowing it to make excuses as to why I could not do any exercise.

But that is all they really were poor excuses:
  • my feet hurt
  • I can't put my runners on
  • what about the clot will it move if I exercise -what's the point if I am limited with what I do
  • I'm too tired
  • I'm too sick
  • I feel sorry for myself
  • I cant get to the gym
  • I have no equipment
All excuses have been wiped!  So no more excuses now and on to "training in slippers".
 Today (which was Friday but my posting did not work) I completed the following arms workout which I simply downloaded a workout app to assist with the timings once I'm feeling back into it I will start my own program

So today the workout is arms and some abs: overhead press, bicep curls, triceps extensions, bent over rows, front raises,  (I used dumbbells but you could use cans or empty milk/drink bottles filled with sand/dirt) sit ups with medicine ball (or your weights made from drink bottles filled with sand/dirt),  push ups (on the knees feet still too sore to attempt toes) and the plank (on knees)

 See NO EXCUSES!!
Afterwards I felt tired, I knew I was going to be a little sore but this should be a good feeling to know that I had not made any more excuses and made the effort to move a little.
Tomorrow it's legs and butt..
 My focus is to move more each day and to fuel my body with healthy food which has as minimal processing as possible. ( watching out for my weakness chocolate and crisps)

Come join me as I recover from my injuries/operation and regain my fitness it should be an open, honest and interesting journey.  Remember to look after you! chat next time....
What are your tips for getting around injuries or excuses? Please share them....


1 comment:

  1. You are a great inspiration! I love the idea of exercising in slippers and it does remind us that exercise is such a broad descriptive and there is not one way to skin a cat.

    Good on you Brenda... Keep up the good work!
    mishx

    ReplyDelete